Friday, August 13, 2010

To Be A Librarian

I'm working on my application to U of A and trying to get all the letters of recommendation, and essays and transcripts pulled together. It's hard. They should let you in just for completing all the myriad tasks they require for application. You almost need a personal secretary to get it done.

I'm only applying to one school now. U of A has strange start times for their Library and Information Science program. I apply by Sept 1, and then school would start Jan 3. If I can't make that deadline, or don't get in, I'll hopefully get into a volunteer program at the public library or at my kid's school library and get a better letter of recommendation from an actual librarian and apply again to U of A, the U of I, and then Syracuse University for a fall of 2011 start.

The idea is to either get in at the In-State-Tuition school, or apply to my Alma-mater, or at the Premiere Librarian school in NY. I'll have to take the GRE to apply for fall admission. That is a little daunting, but I'm pretty good at standardized tests.

I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for U of A in January though.

I just can't imagine that someone won't let me in. I am the very picture of a librarian. Most of the time I wear my hair in a bun. My entire house is covered in books. I mean literally in every room (except the kitchen and bathrooms) I have multiple bookshelves. I have 4 cats. I never leave the house without a book and usually while in the house I am either reading a book or within an arm's reach of a book. I even know the shelves at Barnes and Noble better then the employees as I often help patrons find exactly the book they are looking for and sometimes even suggest a comparable substitute. I need to go to school to get this degree. I just need to be able to convince admissions people of that.

Would it be allowable to send in the admissions people photos of my bookshelves and links to this blog?

No comments: