Friday, March 13, 2009

Appliance Repair for Dummies

I dont' have $295 to get my oven fixed.

The blower motor that cools the electronics on my Jenn-Aire oven has been making an obnoxious grinding noise whenever I turn the oven on. It was starting to get so annoying that I decided to call a repairman to take a look at it. I knew what was wrong with it (need a new blower motor), I just need someone to get the part and install it.

So I open my yellow pages and make the mistake of calling the people with the largest add.
Disappointment:

#1: I'm given a time frame of between 2 and 5 and the fat cliche looking repairman shows up at 4:50. The last minute and also at a time where now I can't use the oven for dinner.

2. The dude insists that I give him $49.95 before he leaves just for telling me what I already know. It needs a new blower motor.

3. The company does not call back and give me an estimate. I have to call them and ask what the deal is. This always pissed me off.

4. I am quoted a price of $295. This is probably about half the price of the oven itself. I ask why it is so expensive and am told that it's because we have to get a whole new motor. I ask for a price breakdown and I'm told, oh we don't usually do that? I say, "Well I'm going to need one." I am put on hold for about 5 minutes while this chick makes up some numbers that total $295. $150 for the part, $50 for the service call, $80 for labor and the rest is tax. I tell her that's too expensive, sounds a little shady, and I'll get back to her.

5. I get off the phone, go online and look up the part that I need.....$46.


LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE.

I love doing this to people....catching them in a lie. So I call the chick back and ask her if she's sure that the part I need is $150. She gets all pissy and says that she quoted me a flat price of $295. If I want to pay that then they'll come out and fix it, otherwise I should find someone else.

That is so shady and way too expensive for any kind of appliance repair. This is a recession. They should know that I am going to do everything in my power to fix this oven for the cheapest price possible. That will now be ordering the part for $46 from Maytag and having my husband pull out the oven and replace the motor.

Whatever happened to honest people trying to make an honest buck at a reasonable rate. Just because times are tough doesn't mean that you charge an arm and a leg to the few customers that you have. I would have been willing to pay between $150 and $180 to have the oven fixed by someone else. They should know that and should not have tried to go over the going rate by jacking up the parts price. $150 for a service call and installation would have been adequate and then the $46 for the part.

They just got too greedy and now we'll be doing it ourselves. Good thing we are very handy. I guess we just should have gone this route to begin with. Next time I'll just fix it myself. That's what the internet is for.....all the parts and instructions are just a click away.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a ridiculous mark up on the part. Sometimes technicians offer a parts warranty and mark the part up 10% or so but wow. I offer appliance repair in Studio City California and have come across some companies trying to do that here. I rely on repeat and referral business, I treat my customers right and they recommend me.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing these valuable ideas for appliance repair. All ideas are awesome. Specially the idea about using gas.Appliance Repair Los Angeles

Unknown said...

Stainless steel appliances have become a necessity in the kitchen today. A good cleaning and care required for these gadgets to keep their luster and sustainable performance. It is essential to know the right way to do it. This short guide will give you an idea of keeping the stainless steel appliances in great shape. Stainless steel proved resistant to rust and are less susceptible to corrosion. That is why he became much sought after material for kitchen countertops, cabinets and Appliance repair Los Angeles .