Saturday, September 22, 2012

Rooms full of old ladies make me uncomfortable

So I was at a meeting Friday afternoon between all of the librarians in our school district. Needless to say it was a complete waste of time, like most meetings are.

What it made me realize most is that I am really way, way, way, too educated for my job. In a room full of people who need instruction on how to use a help menu, change a barcode, and need tutoring in order to pass basic high school math I found myself constantly holding back eye-rolls and laughing cackles. I'm not an administrator and could never be for a school district because I cannot listen to a room full of over-weight middle aged women complain about doing things "outside of my pay-grade".

It was literally driving me crazy. A room full of women makes me nervous to begin with, but this was pushing me over the edge. My time is limited in this $10.00/hour position.

So here I introduce a new direction in the Life at 7000 Feet blog. It's been a bit stagnant for a while here since I've been in school. I graduate in December with my Master's Degree in Library and Information Science. I've been working for the school district as long as I've been in school and it's time to switch things up a bit and venture down a new path.

I don't know what that path will be, but I've got my eyes peeled for it. It's coming up here soon and I'll be ready for it when it comes into my sights.

There will be a lot of travel in my future and I need a career that will not interfere with that.

No comments: