Thursday, February 7, 2013

LA Times Travel and Adventure Show 2013

It's coming again.... are you ready?

It's the LA Times Travel and Adventure Show!

February 23-24 at the LA Convention Center, only $10.00 to get it.

All my favorite people will be there: RICK STEVES, Arthur Frommer, Rudy Maxa, Amazing Race Host Phil Keoghan, and for reasons yet unknown to me, Andrew McCarthy will be there too.

Of course I will be there Saturday watching my favorite tour guide, Rick Steves, give his European Travel Skills lecture from 3:00 -4:30.
I'll probably drop in on Phil Keoghan's lecture too, but we'll have the kids with us, so we'll probably have to keep the lectures to a minimum.

If you've never been, it's super cool, but only if you love to armchair travel and love brochures. I myself have a very powerful need to collect brochures. Am I ever going to visit Sudan? No, probably not, but if they have an awesome brochure I want to read all about it. There are giant color catalogs from all the cruise companies, strange little booklets for green adventure tours in Costa Rica, flyers from  Land Rover tour companies wanting to tour you through the silk road, and just mom and pop places that want you to stay with them in Northern California. It's a melting pot of travel tastes.

Carl and I have been starting to think about possibly starting a tour company of some kind, so I'm going to be there to scope out the competition this year and find out what's new and cool in travel. I love Europe, but hasn't it been done to death? Carl loves off-road travel, but how many Hummer, Jeep and Rover tours does the world need? I'm going to find out.

I'll report back in a few weeks and this year I am going to get my picture with Rick if it's the last thing I do!

No comments: