Monday, April 15, 2013

Hair Attack

So imagine a pleasant Sunday afternoon... I'm sitting on the couch reading quietly for a few minutes before I start making dinner when my beautiful just turned 7 year old daughter walks up to me with her hands full of hair, crying.

Now imagine me having an instant panic attack. Heaving chest, palpitations, sweats, swirling eyes, the whole deal.

She had a scrunchy in her hair and then there were bits of hair all around her, hanging down lower than her already long hair, there were clouds of hair everywhere, puff balls, trails of hair. It was terrifying. I followed her to the bathroom upstairs to figure out what was going on.

Alopecia! That was my first thought. Then cancer, and other un-named things that could be wrong with her.

Once in the bathroom where there were more strands of hair on the counter and in the trashcan, I started combing through her hair to find the source of the hair loss. Finally after pulling out all the loose strands I saw on the side of her head the signs of a scissors attack.

Now I lost it.

After sorting it all out it seems that my daughter used some new hair clips that she got for her birthday. They are little stars with Velcro on the back. Once you affix them into your hair they are pretty stuck. In order to get them out you have to pull them down the length of the hair, which for her is about 18 inches. She however did not know that. She thought they were stuck so she got out the scissors and CUT THEM OUT HERSELF!!!!! Herself!

I was in hysterics and so was she. I was so mad and disappointed that she didn't come and tell me and ask for help. She was so embarrassed. And all that gorgeous hair.


And this photo is from last year.... add 6 more inches to this.

I am still recovering today. I am still seeing flashbacks of strands of hairs on the floor. It's like a nightmare. Her hair is okay. You don't notice unless you pull it back that the left side of her head has hair that is only 2 inches long. We will not be doing any ponytails or pigtails on the side of her head for a while. 
After thinking about it, it's not so much the hair, but the fact that she didn't come and ask for help. She always asks for help, but this one time she didn't... this one very important time. It just breaks my heart that she was to scared or embarrassed or what ever to come and ask me to help. Or did she just think she could do it herself like when we trim/cut her Barbie's hair? I don't know, but we've discussed it many times since yesterday, about how if you ever need help, or get into a big mess, ASK for HELP!

Oh the joys of parenting.

No comments: