Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Holidays

Last weekend was the first in a long string of holiday weekends at home with the kids. It is so hard sometimes to be at home with them all, all by myself for the whole day and not drag them out to shop for most of the day just to get out of the house. Why is that? Kids get bored so easily and they all want to watch different DVDs and it's a little too chilly for me outside. They love the 40 degree weather and the chapped cheeks. I can't sit out there and watch them play. It's just too cold for me.
So what do we do? I pack them in the car and drive out to the mall to go to Old Navy who is eternally out of any size that I might wear, and then we drive to the completely other side of town to go to Target just to buy mouthwash. Yes we needed it, but we needed nothing else at all. It was just a desperate ploy to get out of the house with them all and hope that someone might just fall asleep while we were driving all over town. No such luck.

Meanwhile my phone has been ringing all weekend but the ringer was turned off since we were at the movies Friday afternoon. 1 new project prospect called and a business for sale prospect called. Motherhood always takes precedence. That's why I have the jobs that I have, so that I can take the kids to the movies and take random days off if someone is sick or has a half day due to parent conferences. That is my other job........mother. That's why I turn down projects and opportunities. I have to be a mother first and everything else has to come second. That is the eternal plight of all mothers. Work or kids and hardly ever work and kids. So with this the holiday season upon us I pretty much resign myself to doing nothing but maintaining the businesses I already have and spending my time shopping for Christmas, going to school holiday programs, and sitting at home with any one of my 3 kids that might have the day off school during the next 2 months.

No comments: