Friday, January 16, 2009

No more Architect

I'm going to start writing this again since I'm going to be having more free time. I am officially not going to be an architect anymore. After all of my rantings in 2007 and all my research and reading done in 2008 I have found my true calling......hopefully. So now I want to document me moving from being an architect to being an artist more or less.
I am going to be designing and manufacturing my own hand tufted wool rugs. Strange but true. It should be pretty cool. I spent a week in Minneapolis in November learning all about it and have since been setting up my studio and buying all sorts of equipment and getting yarn and wool samples. I am almost there and will post a lovely picture of my dog kennel turned studio on Monday once I have finished moving my office furniture back home. Yes that's right.. I'm giving up my cute little office downtown and moving it all back home. That's how serious I am about not being an architect. I should be settled in in a few weeks and really be able to post some awesome photos of things getting up and running. I still have a few more projects to wrap up and then hopefully I will never have to submit drawings again to the giant mess that is local government.

1 comment:

Gallery Kuma said...

I agree surviving as an architect is tough specially in this economy. myself work for a design build firm & there is currently no work so sitting at home in this cold harsh winter. I could empathize with your frustration in your earlier posts. I am currently workin on my watercolors dont know what I am going to do but nevertheless doesnt stop me from doing it. bythe way here are 2 website that might interest you
http://www.architectureforhumanity.org/

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/cameron_sinclair_on_open_source_architecture.html

(I saw your note on free advice & hence posting it)