Monday, November 9, 2009

I Always Get What I Want



It's completely done!! Now I just need someone to buy it or a place to sell it. I now have 3 rugs in my entryway. Too many? In most houses yes, but in my house, no, not at all.
I'm excited. The rug is a little rough on the back, but it was an experiment. The canvas is too heavy. The next one I'm going to use something called monk's cloth that is lighter and less dense. For a first try I think it's pretty damn good. It doesn't have to look good on the back anyway. It's the front we're looking at.

My new mantra for this month is "Walk a different path".

I'm doing things a little differently this month. Less  reading, more writing. Less complaining and more doing.
When I sed to sit in my architecture office all day and hate on my life I would often write about the things I really wanted to do. I have fully come tothe conclusion that I am doing all of them now.

1. I write and hopefully it will be a sellable book some day. I feel so much less guilty about not following one of dreams. Writing makes me feel like I'm playing the lottery, only I have more control over the numbers that are picked.

2. I am full on making my rugs. Note "making" them, not selling them yet. I have a creative output which feels awesome. In architecture I hardly ever got any say in what my clients were building, if the project got built at all. Making rugs give me almost immediate satisfaction of seeing something I designed being fabricated. The feeling is exhilirating.

3. At the beginning of the year I wrote down one of my New Year's Resolutions was to "Stop yelling at the kids so much". Giving up my office and the stress of working as an architect has had a direct impact on my stress and therefore the amount of stress I can handle from the kids. I'm not stressed about getting to a meeting, someone getting sick and preventing me from making a deadline, or snow days. I am on a much more even keel when it comes to the kids. I am not stressed about helping them with homework, play dates, school programs, and now since I finally sub-leased my office last week, the financial drain of keeping up an office is gone. I no longer yell at my kids like I used to. AWESOME.

4. The gym. If I had to create the perfect day it would be take the kids to school, go to the gym, come home eat lunch, write, work on my rugs, pick up kids from school.  I am doing all of that today. I am living my perfect day.

Now to take things to the next level I need two more things: I need my husband home with me for at least part of the day.  The next thing I need is to be paid for at least one of my two creative endeavors. Time will get me there. I always get what I want.

No comments: