Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Black Carl and Flock of Seagulls




It was an eventful weekend here in Flagstaff.

It started out with a late show at the Green Room with Black Carl.
Why does the Green Room say the show starts at 9:00 when the set list on the stage very clearly states that the opening opening band will go on at 9:45? Why does the headliner go on at 11:45? It gets me every time.
I am so used to shows at the Orpheum that start on time and end at a decent time.
Some of us music lovers have kids yo!

Anyway Black Carl was awesome, but failed to play my favorite song, Ran. We bailed a little early and missed that last two songs, but found an awesome new food truck located in a back alley downtown that is open from 9 pm till 3am. My mind was blown with a pork quesadilla drizzled with hot BBQ sauce.

Saturday night we braved the weather and headed out to the Coconino County Fair to hear a little Flock of Seagulls. The venue sucks. I will give the Seagulls that, but the interminable sound check while the entire crowd sat around waiting was fairly unprofessional. We were all getting a little impatient. It probably wasn't the band's fault, but they could have speeded up the process.

The show itself was okay. I 'm not a huge Flock of Seagulls fan. I only know that one song. I was 8 when most of their songs were released. They rocked it as best they could for a County Fair. The vocals sounded a little off, but hey the guy is what? 55 years old. I was disappointed that he no longer has big hair. The music was good and we were genuinely entertained. They rocked it, but not as hard as Everlast did last year.

Mike Score

I think I realized that Flock of Seagulls to me is more of a cultural icon than a band. They are referenced in so many 80's movies and parodies that the band has become more than their music. They are pop culture. Now when ever I hear a reference to them I can say, Yep I've seen Flock of Seagulls.

No comments: