Monday, October 14, 2013

Anne Rice and The Fault in Our Stars




I know I don't usually discuss books here on this page.
I usually do it HERE.

But I just had to discuss a few literary things here for all you less than bibliophiles.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green has just one the coveted award of Emily's Favorite Book award. If you are scared off by the plot summary (two cancer kids falling in love), don't be.
Read it. This man is a master of getting great words to stick to a page. It is hilarious and if you know me and like me and want me to continue to know and like you, you must read this book.

Now enough of the book recommendations. If you wanted that you would read my other blog.

My other news regarding Anne Rice is that she is currently on a lengthy book tour promoting her new book The Wolves of Midwinter.
I have two options to meet her: A weekend trip to LA to the B&N at the Grove to meet Ms. Rice on Saturday November 2nd.
OR a Thursday evening in Tempe at a small independent book store called Changing Hands on November 14th.

In my imagination I go to the LA book signing and casually bump into Brad and Angelina who are also there to get their books signed. The line is short and only the truly literary are there to meet Ms. Rice.
In reality I know this signing will be INSANE. The Grove is crazy anyway, but add Anne Rice on a Saturday afternoon and all hell could break loose.

I think my chances are better in Tempe. Maybe there will be a more subdued crowd of bibliophiles and vampire nuts in attendance.

Either way I am super excited to meet Anne Rice. She was one of the authors that I found in my grandpa's library at the top of the stairs in a farmhouse in Vermont. I met Lestat there and also the Mayfair Witches, and VC Andrews' grand cast of characters. Between all the old MAD magazines and history books I found my grandpa's collection of fantastical fiction. He had a huge collection of mass market paperbacks that my mother did not read. It was heaven. I could pick and choose and then read to my hearts content while sitting in an apple tree in a green Vermont pasture with a friendly flock of sheep. Yes it really was that amazing. Parts of my childhood were idyllic.
During those idyllic summers Anne Rice was right there with me.
To meet her next month will be an honor and a privilege.


No comments: