Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Developer?

Wow I haven't written in a while and it really showed in the blog I tried to post yesterday. It was so bad and all over the place. I need to re-focus. I've been distracted from my work on the book by some actual projects and I"ve been catching up on my reading…. Books and the 3 magazines a day I’m getting in the mail. It never seems to end. I am constantly surrounded by a huge mass of information and the problem of finding the time to absorb it all. I am turing over corners on all the new and beautiful stuff that I want to try and remember. I'm looking for other women architects and trying to see what they are doing to make a change in housing. Somedays it seems like there is so little that I can do in the 5 hours a day I have while the kids are at school and others I am so productive it makes my head spin. I am amazed at myself and what I can get accomplished. I"ve got 3 businesses under investigation and 3 current businesses to run and 3 kids. I am getting it all done. This is a good day. Carl is around and he is helping out with housework lately since my last tirade about how he can't even take the garbage out while I do everything else. Sometimes he gets it and other times I have to remind him. That's just life and the way things work between males and females.
I"ve been reading so much lately and I’m not sure if it is really helping. I've read instances where reading and learning keeps you from realizing something new since you are always focused on the ideas and theories of others. But sometimes when I read history it gives me an insight to what has worked in the past and what has been a bad idea. And it turns me on to new ways of thinking about how a house works and what it says about it's owners and how it can make a person feel. It's an amazing science if you could call it that. I want to learn all I can about how people work and live in their homes. What makes them look for more and what makes them settle down? Is it all about money and setteling for whatever can be afforded? Is it really location location location? I know it's got to be a delicate balance between all 3. Can a developer ever really get it right? Shouldn't most architects be developers? I would love to be and hope to be someday when the everyday pressures of having 3 small children and the multiple pick up and drop of times and lunches and learning to read and count are not at the forefront of my mind. I think we are uniquely qualified to juggle the needs of the client and the site. What we are not qualified for in my opinion are the budget issues associated with becoming developers. We see the beauty and the function of things and are hard pressed to deny either of those for the sake of costs. The things we see as necessary for the function of a home are often lost in the budget when a developer is in control of the project. We live with it and hope to push thru our ideas into the next project.
But wouldn't it be really great if more architects took the leap and crossed over into the dark side of developing land. Infill seems like the best place to start

No comments: