Monday, October 15, 2007

I just finished reading a great book about the evolution of the family home. It's The American Family Home by Clifford Edward Clark. I've been reading a lot of books on this subject lately and this one really opened my eyes to a lot of things. Mostly I've been reading books with more of a feminist slant, but this book, written by a man, was much more middle of the road. I apreciated his outlook on the woman of the house and her role in the family and that he didn't blame men for the dire state of housing.

I am most definitely not a feminist. I love my work, but I know that genetically I am better suited to taking care of my family and home than my husband is. Sure he can be shown what to do, but it is not something that comes naturally to him. He is a great dad, but he wouldn't start the laundry if it was biting his ankles.

The more I read and the more I learn about the history of home the clearer my vision becomes on what my book needs to address. People have been studying for years how to create a better house and I don't think it's something we will ever see a perfect solution to. Money will always be an issue when creating a perfect house for everyone. But as a woman I must add my 2 cents to the creation of a new 21st century home. I am just as qualified as anyone else to design for the betterment of the American Family.

No comments: