Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Climb

I think maybe I've got it figured out......why I haven't been getting anything done with my rugs. I'm procrastinating and I'm not in desperate need to get it all done.

I am trying to fill up my days with the other businesses, the kids, and trying to teach my self the entire Adobe Creative Suite. For some reason I believe that I won't be able to run this design business successfully unless I know how to create my own rockin web site from scratch. I am also trying to write, and to read how to write. If that isn't insane I don't know what is.

So anyway I was getting so behind in my Adobe Illustrator lessons and had just broken open the Adobe InDesign books to teach my self how to apparently do my entire book design myself at home when I came to the realization that it was just too much and that I wasn't really doing the things that I needed and wanted to be doing.

What do I want to do? I want to make and sell rugs and I want to write.

What was I doing? Everything but the above.

I can buy a web site from GoDaddy for about $5/month. I can just write and if I can't find a publisher for whatever it is that I write then I will learn InDesign to publish it myself, but I don't need to learn to do it now.

All I need to do is design the rugs, buy the web site from GoDaddy, take some photos and write some copy and I'm up and running. Enough with all this other busy work. It's just getting too ridiculous.

I know I've always had this problem. I can't just do 1 thing at a time. I am way too interested in way too many different things. But if I am going to be successful at any 1 of them I need to focus on it and nothing else in order to get it accomplished.

So I am taking a break from my very carefully planned lesson plan for the summer on learning Adobe and I am going to just and only concentrate on my rugs. I will be coloring, photographing, searching Getty Images, actually working in my studio hopefully with the tufting gun, and learning the inns and outs of the cheap web sites on GoDaddy.

I keep telling myself the site does not have to look perfect the first time. Once I start making money I can always upgrade it, but I need something and something is better than nothing.

And I hate to say it, but, I was actually inspired by Miley Cirus' song the Climb. It almost brought me to tears and made me want to work harder than I have been.

I might have to give up my Real Housewives in order to get shit done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like we're a very similar person. It scares me, except that if I'm even a little as cool as you are, I rock.

Gallery Kuma said...

ever thought of using a blog as a selling tool? many artists do it or etsy & ebay. ofcourse nothing beats own website, nevertheless my 2 cents.