Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Martha Stewart Watch Out

Okay,
So I'm starting this research that hopefully will change the way houses are designed. I'm not talking about architect houses, but builder and multi-family homes. Architects will usually get it right, but I've seen very few builders do it. Houses are not designed with the end user in mind. They are designed with the bottom line in mind, and the glitz and glamour to wow perspective buyers. They are not thinking of function at all. Maybe it's just that people uneducated in design are buying their houses, or they just don't care about how far they have to walk from the garage to the kitchen, or where the dirty laundry goes. I've been so frustrated by these houses for years and I've finally decided to do something about it. I'm going to design my own Usonian houses that are fully functional from a woman's point of view. I'll slowly convert builders to my way of thinking and slowly convert every woman in this country to want my house deisgns over the horrible male builder designed houses. I'm just researching now, but then I've got to get some builders on board. I've got to get national magazine coverage, and not just design magazines, but women's magazines and parenting magazines too. And then I'm going to take over Target with my houseware designs and products for clutter and children. I'm basically going to create my own Martha Stewart Empire.
I just noticed today that she has some house designs for KB Homes. I wonder if Martha even looked at these plans. I see nothing that differentiates them from KB's typical plans. The toilets are still in the wrong place. There is too much housework derived directly from the plan itself, and it does not lend itself for a working family. Who do I need to talk to to make them realize that they are doing it all wrong? Why do they continue to build this way? I've become so frustrated that I've been moved to action. So watch me now!

2 comments:

Designer said...

What could be done to make the plans better? I looked at them and thought they functioned quite well. They have 67 different floor plans from 1300 Sq. Ft. to 5500 Sq. Ft. in 10 different communities. What community did you look at and what was the square footage?

joymle said...

Sorry for the delay. I didn't realize anyway was reading this. It's not a specific community or floor plan. Most all of the children's or guest bedrooms are too small, the children's bathrooms are always designed with the toilet practically inside the bathtub. There are grand 2 story entrances and a lot of "open to below" that not only wastes space but is also very inefficient to heat and cool. Some houses even have 3 dining areas. It's about excess and trying to create a home that looks like it cost $1,000,000 when it's being sold for $300,000. Most houses have no area for a play room and not everyone is a gourmet chef and needs a huge kitchen. I just would have thought that Martha Stewart could have been a little bit more innovative, or even more traditional in her floor plans. I seriously doubt she had anything to do with the designs. They just look like typical KB home plans, nothing special, nothing different, just exactly what you would expect a builder home to be.