Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Spring Break

Having no money sucks ass....and not a cute little pink one, but a big hairy pimpled one.
This is spring break. We are supposed to be cutting loose and enjoying time off from work and school and doing things a little bit more exciting than usual. True we did go to Phoenix on Sunday and get a little mini-golf, go-cart action, but it's not the same as jetting off to Hawaii or Mexico, or heck I'd even settle for Bisbee. But no we headed again to the library today to try and stave off the cabin fever that has been settling in on us after only a few days at home.

I got a call this am for a new project. That always depresses me. Yes I like the prestige of being known as an "architect" but when it comes right down to it, I just don't want the hassle of dealing with cities, unrealistic clients, and chauvinistic contractors. I offered my services as a designer, but told the guy that I would not be interested in completing construction documents or being involved with anything that had to do with speaking to the city. Needless to say he told me he was speaking to some other architects and said he would call me back if things did not work out with them. That response added to the fact that my 3 children were running around like caged monkeys after being served sugar coated Apple Jacks in the background will most likely prevent him from ever calling me again.

It's so hard to give up projects even when I don't really want them. I want the money that goes with the project, but not the headaches that are involved with being an architect. It will take a while for me to adjust and get used to letting really awesome projects pass me by. Until that day I float in a strange in between careers no mans land that is both exhilarating and depressing.

No comments: