Thursday, March 5, 2009

Identity Crisis

"Technically I'm an architect". That is what I told my new physician this morning during our new patient interview. Am I really an architect anymore since I'm not taking any new projects, or is it a title I can use until my death regardless of whether I am a practicing architect or not? I took all the exams and passed. I apprenticed, and have numerous diplomas and certificates, but am I really an architect anymore? I don't feel like one. I don't think I ever really did. If I did feel like a real genuine architect I would probably still be one and would tell people confidently that that is my job title.
But now when people ask me what I do, how do I respond and whatever that response is will it feel as good as saying, "I'm an architect"? It's a cool phrase to say. It really gives people an image of who you are like saying "I'm a lawyer" or "I'm a doctor". Since I am basically a housewife staying at home all day internetting, writing and making grilled cheese sandwiches for my 2 year old, it doesn't really feel honest to say that I am indeed an architect. I'm still finishing up projects, I'm working on my new business, trying to stay on top of all the books and taxes for the other 2 businesses, but still I am starting to feel like just another stay at home mom, something I never want to be known as......ever!
I know everything is new and different and changing every day as far as the economy and our personal businesses, but until I can feel comfortable in whatever my new title is going to be...entrepreneur, designer, I think I'm going to keep telling people I'm an architect. It's a lot more impressive then saying, "I'm inbetween careers right now".

No comments: