Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Ahhh Sunset Blvd Memories



This is the very first photo ever taken of me and my husband in March of 1998. Damn we were young and scruffy. We had just seen Portishead at the Santa Monica Civic Center and then stayed the night at the cool tall sea foam green tall hotel there on the beach. If I remeber correctly Samantha Mathis and her boyfriend were standing in front of us. We were right up there at the stage watching what's her name from the band chain smoke while she sang.

This was the time in our lives that we will always look back on fondly. This is when our lives seemed like a movie. Everything was exciting and new and unexpected. We had no idea where we were going but we were having a blast getting there. We were followed by a soundtrack of cool trendy music and surrounded by awesome character actors. Everything seemed to be just about us and our love story. We met, we swooned, drama ensued, we overcame all obstacles and lived happily ever after directly following our fairy tale wedding.

This picture sums up for me what are my highschool football hero moments. If I could go back and relive it all I would. It was such an amazing time and I doubt I'll ever change my life as drastically as I did that first year I was in California. I still remember sitting on Sunset Blvd one Friday night in the back of the van while the boys from the band waited for their drug dealer to meet them to make the exchange. Sure it was just pot and it was no big deal really, but the moment stuck with me and I'll never forget wondering how the hell I came from the small town cornfields of Illinois to buying drugs with my rockstar boyfriend on Sunset Blvd and not giving a shit because I was having the time of my life.

My life now is a far cry from those glory days of debauchery, but those few years made me who I am now. That rough transition from midwestern college girl, to awesome LA rock-star wife was life changing. Someday I'll write it all down, but for now I just wanted to reflect on my "cool years" before I start doing the laundry and cleaning the cat box while figuring out how to pay the property taxes.

No comments: