Wednesday, November 7, 2012

10 Things I Can't Live Without

This is the headline of one of my favorite features in Elle Magazine, or is it Elle Decor? I can't remember. Anyway, I often imagine myself as a famous designer and tastemaker who is featured in the magazine and asked to provide my list of 10 things that I just can't live without.

So today I made my list.

1. Altoids


I eat these puppies each and every day. They are great for a mid-afternoon snack, or a quick breath check after eating too much pork.






2. Vaseline



I must remind you that I do indeed live at altitudes that are greater than 7000'. It's dry up here. My lips would fall off if not smeared with good old Vaseline several times a day. And as a side note the new designed jar with the flip off lid is soooo much better than the old removable lid.






3. 2004  Land Rover Discovery



Again with the altitude of my home this vehicle is necessary. I only feel safe in the snow while driving this car. Big hills? Snow berms? Black ice? No problem.





4. Books

Doesn't matter the book. I must have books. I can't live without them. They keep my mind from getting away from me. I NEVER go anywhere without a book.


5. IKEA Bookcases




They are so cheap, so versatile and hold so much. I've got them in every color they come in, and even a few of those special ones with patterns in them.







6. Hershey's Chocolate Syrup



Yes I buy it in bulk from Sam's Club just as shown in the picture. We go through one jug every week. How you ask?
CHOCOLATE MILK.
I recently cut down my intake of chocolate milk to once a week, but the kids drink it every day.
We do not even know what white milk tastes like.







7. Highway Bags


I have had one of these purses for the past 4 years. I really cannot imagine a better purse. It is impossible to lose anything in one of these there. There is a place for everything in one of those little zippered pockets. Keys in one. Phone in another, make-up in another. I never have to fumble for anything. I only wish I could have one in every color. They are sold almost exclusively from their little store in New York.
Find them here and buy one.



8. Heated Mattress Pad



What? You've never heard of one of these? If you live anywhere even remotely cold you MUST get one. It is like heaven. Every time you climb in, the sheets and blankets and pillows are warm, toasty warm. Since we live in a castle and our bedroom can get down to 40 degrees we really would freeze without it.



9. Velvet



I know it's not a great image, but there doesn't seem to be a photo that captures how amazing burgundy velvet really is. I have burgundy velvet couches and burgundy velvet covering my giant canopy bed. I keep a bolt of it handy just in case I can think of something else to drape in velvet.







10. My castle

I've fought hard in the last few years to keep this house. I've lived here longer than anywhere else my whole entire life, almost 7 years. Yes, its cold and drafty and far outside of town, but it's our home. It will be the one that my kids remember as their childhood home. My littlest has never known another house. We moved in 2 weeks before she was born. We've been through a lot together this house and me. I don't know if we'll always live here, but for now I can't imagine living anywhere else.

No comments: