Thursday, November 1, 2012

Remembering River

When I was a young teenager both of these posters were on my wall. If there was ever a little girl who loved this boy more, I have not met her.


I saw every movie, no matter how bad. Remember A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon?

My favorite by far is The Thing Called Love, also starring a very young Sandra Bullock. In it he was a musician. He was tortured by a girl. He married her and it didn't work out. There were ties to Elvis, and Nashville, and oh it just tickles everything in me that makes me love a movie. I could watch it a million times.

I remember waking up November 1, 1993 and hearing the horrible news of his death. I was in my freshman college dorm and I was too stunned to speak. None of my roommates seemed to understand the enormity of the situation and I why I was so devastated.

I also remember 5 years later when I stood on the spot in front of the Viper Room where he died and how it seemed impossible that he was dead. I still think of him all the time. He was the first Hollywood crush I had. He was the first celebrity that I wrote a fan letter to (not counting Alex Karas (may he also rest in peace)). He was the reason why I bought BOP magazine and Tiger Beat.
If he was still alive he would be 42.
I love you and miss you River.

No comments: