Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Dwell Magazine?? Feature my rugs?? Please!!


This was my Sunday morning.

Why does everything always seem so much easier in SoCal? The few hours that we were away from the snow and cold and work at home, everything seemed so easy. There are so many people in LA in makes it seem ridiculous that I could ever wonder if I will be able to sell my rugs. There are people everywhere that still have money to spend. They all seem to be in LA and the OC.

Flagstaff seems like such a drag. Things are closed everywhere. Neighbors are selling their houses left and right. Even selling their big custom homes that they worked for years to save up to build. Even some houses that I designed. People are working for free or not working at all. It's the same as our story. It's just that in Flag we all seem to have the same story. Times are tough.

I need to sell my rugs. I can do it. I just need to meet the right person. I just need the $$$ for brochures. I know I can make money at this. I am a designer. I just have no idea and no money to let people know what it is that I am doing and the beautiful things that I am making.

How does everyone else make that jump from obscurity to people actually buying your stuff? I can't seem to get across that threshold. Is there something that I'm missing? Or am I just in the wrong city? Selling rugs in LA would be easy. I would just contact each and every rug store on Melrose within a 1 mile radius of the Pacific Design Center. I've been in all those stores when I was doing my research. I could sell my stuff there. I just can't get away during the week and get to LA to do that while I have 3 small kids. Am I using them as an excuse? I don't even know anymore.

I, like everyone else who is trying to break into a new industry, need 1 big break. I need one thing that will introduce me to the right person, get me an article in Metropolis or Dwell. This blog is the only thing that really gets my info out there. If there is one thing I'm trying to do now besides my usual complaining here is to educate people about the Loan Mod process, give away free architecture advice, and get people to notice my rugs. I don't know if any of it is working or if anyone is finding me here. But if there is even one of you out there that gets some help here or even considers buying a rug from me, I guess I'm doing my job.

No comments: