Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Career Crisis

I finally collected payment on the last of my projects. I think it is time to say that I am officially done being an architect. The same day that last check came in the mail is the same day my State of Arizona license renewal came in the mail. How very coincidental.

Do I renew it? What is my status as an architect? Do I continue paying all the registration fees just in case I decide one day to go back to being an architect? I was going to hold off on this decision, but here it has been thrown into my face and I'll have to decide. At this point in my life I can't ever see myself wanting to work as an architect ever again. I don't ever want to sit in an office and look busy trying to work for someone else that's for damn sure. But what if someone asks really nicely and offers me a lot of money for a one off project? It could happen. Am I just grasping at straws? Am I just reluctant to give up something I spent years of school and apprenticework trying to achieve? Argh! I don't know.

In the meantime my writing is going slowly as writing tends to do and my rugs are going just as slowly as money allows. So I'm going nowhere fast. If I only live to 68 this could classify as my mid-life crisis.

No comments: