Tuesday, June 29, 2010


I know it's a cheap tactic, but it got your attention right?

I think I'm getting pretty serious about this whole going back to school thing. It seems entirely possible, affordable (thank to our loan mod), and exciting. I went so far today as to search Monster for what kinds of jobs are open to librarians. There are some really cool jobs out there. I was impressed. They all sounded like fun, except for the law and medical library jobs. There were even a few for architecture and interior design firms. Jackpot!

So on that note things seem to be looking up.

I would even go so far as to say that it has given me something to look forward to. I think a big part of my spring breakdown was me just being anxious over what to do with the rest of my life. It's a huge thing to go through school, 7 years of internship, 9 grueling exams, to be an architect and then just plain change my mind. It was altering. Being an architect is more than just a job. It really does define who you are and when I can't answer what I do for a living with something as impressive as, "I'm an architect", I think I lost a little bit of my identity. It sucks to not have a real job. I mean I enjoy working for our family businesses and I get paid a little for it, but it's not like it's my calling in life. I don't really get too excited about quarterly tax filings and payroll. It's fun, but it's not what I want to do forever.

I want to DO something myself. Sure I write and I have my rugs and my kids to keep me occupied, but I need more. Being a librarian seems like just the right thing to do. I would be surrounded by books or maps or drawings all day, putting them in to order. There is nothing boldly creative about it, but I can honestly say that I never get tired of books. I've gotten tired of writing, tired of my rugs, tired of drawing and most definitely tired of city building departments and contractors, but never tired of books.

No comments: