Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Urbex

What is Urbex?

It is short for urban exploration and it is amazing.
I've been subscribed to a new Facebook page called Spooky Places that posts pictures of all kinds of abandoned buildings and other creepy things. Today there was a photo of a place called Chateau Miranda aka Chateau Noisy in Belgium and it took my breath away. I've been researching the place ever since I saw it this morning. In my interweb ramblings I came across a number of really cool websites that feature urbex and the people who break in and trespass into abandoned structures and take beautiful pictures.




These images break my heart and make me want to go out and win millions of dollars in the lottery and try and save this poor abandoned building.
This YouTube video of the exterior of the chateau is the equivalent of a Sarah Mclachlan Humane Society animal cruelty commercial to me.  The Beethoven makes me want to cry.

We've done our own version of this here in our own backyard that I'll call DesEx, or desert exploration. There are all kinds of abandoned Route 66 oddities near us that we try and go out and explore every so often. We've seen the Twin Arrows with the abandoned zoo, an abandoned bridge, and numerous abandoned roadside motels. I'll have to find the photos and post up my own Urbex art.

No comments: