Friday, April 3, 2009

Pants are Overrated

I don't really like wearing jeans. They are too binding for someone like me who is thick around the middle after having 3 kids. They give my ever so sensitive skin a rash and just generally it is hard to find a good fit. After spending so much time around the house, sometimes only leaving to take the children to school, my love for pants has almost disappeared.

So I've been wearing jeans for years now almost exclusivly since moving to the arctic tundra of Northern Arizona. When we lived in LA I would rock dresses all the time, but here is just seems so unrealisitc and odd compared to everyone else wearing fleece and jeans. I would love to wear dresses and skirts everyday again and I have a whole closet full that I bought when wishfully thinking that the weather here would improve, but it's too windy and too cold here.

Lately I've actually gone so far as to wear maroon velour sweatpants all day and now I don't think I can go back to wearing jeans or any kind of pants fulltime again. I never really liked khaki pants for fear of looking like a park ranger. I don't do skinny jeans since my legs are so stick like to begin with. I can really rock a boot leg, but I just don't know if it's worth it anymore.

If I was to decide to just grin and bear it and go ahead and wear dresses and tights in the winter I would have to be careful due to our close location to Colorado City. We are their local shopping center and if I go out in a skirt that is a little too long and wear my hair in it's almost ever present bun, people will start to get the wrong idea about me.

Sometimes I wonder if I've just reached that point in my life where I just don't care what I look like anymore and that's why I don't want to wear pants anymore, but I think it's just that I generally like the feel of a skirt. I like to twirl. I like to wear pretty sandals and heels. I think my legs are gorgeous when shaved and I am a sucker for a pretty floral pattern.

Anyway the longer I stay at home, the more I am contemplating the total switch from pants to skirts. I just need to buy enough leggins and tights to get me through the long hard winters. It will be a process, but I think I'm going to try for that artsy bohemian look to go along with my new status as artist/designer. We'll see if I can pull it off.

No comments: