Thursday, April 30, 2009

Just Like Elton

I remember a few years ago Elton John, before he had his gig at Caesar's in Vegas, had some money problems. I think he was on the brink of bankruptcy and I remember it being printed in the papers that even through his money issues he was still spending up to $250,000 on fresh flowers a year for his home.

Everone at the time was astounded and wondered how anyone with bills stacking up could afford such a luxury. He was the butt of everyone's jokes on all the late shows. I remember thinking the same thing.....who spends money when they have none on flowers? They die after a week. Why waste money on them?

I recently, like in the past year or two, have come around on the flower issue. I buy fresh flowers for my house every week. Sometimes every other if I buy those cool wild flowers that dry out instead of stink and droop. I can't imagine my house without them. They are such a simple luxury. I'm not buying roses and orchids, but sunflowers and irises this week, or carnations and tulips, what ever is in season.

I can't justify the expense other than to say that when I come into the kitchen every morning and see them sitting in the window it makes the day feel a little bit more promising. When money is tight, like it is for me now, the flowers make me a little bit more optimistic about what the day might bring and if I can still afford the flowers then things can't be that bad.

I understand Elton completely now.

Oh and I'm ordering the dress tomorrow.

No comments: