Tuesday, May 4, 2010

May Loan Modification Update

I bought some books. Too many books. I made the mistake of going to the library, coming home with a stack of amazing books, and then jsut for fun looking up the books on Amazon and Abe books. I found 7 of the books that I had checked out for only $1-$3! I had to buy them. It takes the stress off of having to read them all before they are due back at the library. How can I turn down an amazing book for only $1 (plus S&H). So I will not make that resolution to not buy books for 2 weeks. I can't do it. I made it through the weekend only.

Loan update. I still haven't heard back from Jowanna on adding the escrow account. I'm wondering if we are actually going to have to make our June 1 payment. It's been nice to not have the payment for the past 2 weeks. We'll see what she comes back with. She may not be the most prompt in returning my calls, but I now know that she is working on my stuff even when she isn't calling me every day.

CitiMortgage now is becoming a thorn in my side. I started the paperwork with them as soon as Jowanna got back to me on the terms of our modification. I let them know what the terms are and was told that they could do nothing until my paperwork with B of A was finished. Finished? Final paperwork and new signed mortage papers could take up to a year to get. It seems a little strange that they would wait that long to start their 8 month process for modification. I would understand if they wanted to wait until the 3 month trial perios was over, but final paperwork seems a little strange.

We haven't paid the CitiMortgage 2nd mortgage since March 1. I am officially on the shit list for Citi. I got a very confrontational phone call from one of their people last night. He was just plain rude and told me that he couldn't believe that I was so nonchalant about missing my mortgage payments. I clarified that it was just my 2nd mortgage I was missing, that I was aware of the credit rammafications, that I had every intention of paying back all the money that I owe Citi plus any late fees, that I was in the process of going thru the loan modification process and that as soon as my payment was modified I would return to making my payments. He was livid. After a while, after I had proved to him that I was an intelligent well informed consumer, he calmed down. He had been yelling at me about how I needed to be proactive in the modification process, and that the modification program was not a substitute for making payments. He didn't scare me one bit and I'll tell you why.....

Citi is in the second position to be paid after Bank of America. I currently owe $590,000 on a house that Zillow lists as worth about $475,000. If Citi was to try and go ahead and put the house in forclosure  they would get nothing because B of A would get paid first. Forclosure would make them lose the $70,000 I owe them. If on the other hand they harass me for payments while I am trying to go thru the modification process and wait, they will get all of their money back, minus a little bit on the lower interest rate. It is in their best interest to wait. I'll put up with the phone calls and continue to be nonchalant about the whole thing because I know what is going on.

It's frustrating, but these new drugs are like little miracle pills for me. Instead of getting pissed off and hanging up or yelling at these customer service people like I usually do,I have been calm and accomodating. It works wonders.

More on my happy pills tomorrow and the sacrifices I am willing to make to be happy and normal.

No comments: