Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My Take on Arizona Immigration Issues

What to write about today? I've been very good about posting every day, but today I've got nothing that is itching my brain that needs to get out.

I could write about the Arizona Immigration thing, but I'm not that political, I don't know all the facts, and I don't see what is bad about taking people who are here illegally out of the country. We're not shipping them off to concentration camps to kill them as some people are comparing the 'asking for papers' to Hitler. We are simply sending them back to their country. They can come back, just come back legally. You can't really compare it to the pilgrims and indians either. This isn't the sixteenth century. It's the twenty-first. Big difference. We all have our own opinions about what is right and wrong. I personally don't mind if there are people here illegally as long as they aren't causing trouble. But I would think that the people coming here illegally, since they are doing it illegally, might have no issues about doing other things that are illegal as well. Just my opinion. I also think most cops should be too busy to ask every brown person for their papers.

We are pretty isolated from these problems up here in Flagstaff, but as I understand it, in Phoenix and Tuscon, there are lot of issues with school over-crowding and second language programs that are made worse by an influx of illegals. Whether the solution is sending them all back to Mexico, I don't know.

I think I understand the bigger issue is about our rights as Americans and getting asked to prove that we are really Americans, but isn't is the same as when you get pulled over and get asked for your driver's license and proof of insurance. Cops are allowed to ask questions. That is kind of their job, and then they enforce the law. This just seems like the same thing to me.

No comments: